Celebrating 1 Year of Katie Graham Photography
1 year ago today I grabbed my sister and parent's DSLR, drove out to some farm fields at sunset, and shot my first portraits with the intention of starting a photography business. I had just gotten a reflector for my birthday as was so excited to give it a try! I had Lex stand in the tall grass while I clicked away (I was terrible at giving posing direction, btw!) and screamed when we thought we'd felt a snake slither over our feet. Later that night I posted those portraits to Facebook and prayed that something might become of them.
I am so happy to say that 1 year later, I can see exactly how those first portraits started a life changing experience for me. I am so grateful for each and every individual that has trusted me with their memories and has invested in me and my work. You all are the best!
To celebrate KGP's 1 Year Anniversary I want to give a quick recap of the past 12 months. This has been a fun exercise in reflection for me, and I hope by sharing it with you I can encourage you in whatever goals you are working towards!
What I Have Learned:
1. Manual Mode is the best, and not nearly as scary as it seems.
2. I say "So cute!" a LOT.
3. Black & White imagery is my favorite.
4. Shoot back-lit or go home.
5. Comfortable footwear is essential or you will be miserable.
6. Simplicity is always better.
7. Organization and clear communication are key.
8. Don't assume.
Goals I Have Accomplished:
1. Book & shoot my first destination wedding! -- I shot a wedding back in May in Seattle and was so thrilled when I booked it! It was a stunning wedding for the sweetest couple! Click here to check out their blog post!
2. Create a website I am proud of. -- This website has been through several transformations, but I find it so fun to make it my own and experiment with different layouts and copy!
3. Travel to Seattle. -- Checked off two goals in one!
4. Learn Manual Mode. -- Manual Mode is the BEST.
5. Become much better at posing. -- This has been such a fun challenge for me! Developing a flow that works well for me and my clients has been a challenge but so rewarding!
Goals For Next Year:
1. Start shooting film.
2. Venture into the world of online education.
3. Book a wedding in Greece (dream big, right?).
4. Travel more (hence Greece, lol).
5. Meet Sinclaire & Moore.
6. Make more business friends!
7. Invest in education for my business.