Tips for Being Productive and Working from Home
How to battle distractions, buckle down, and get things done!
All across the United States there are people finding themselves working from home, and if this isn't your normal (and even if it is), this can be very challenging! I work from home every day--SUCH a blessing--but even I still struggle sometimes with being productive and not getting distracted.
The past few months I've been able to really focus on created systems that help me be more productive, and I want to share some of them with you today!
My hope is that you'll walk away from this post with a game-plan to be more productive, confidence to get things done in this new season you're in, and maybe some encouragement too. Keep scrolling to learn how I've become more productive when working from home, and how you can too!
Tips for Being Productive and Working from Home:
- Get up when you typically would for a normal work day. If you would normally get up at 6:30-7:00 to get ready for work, don't stop now! Keep that habit going! There were a few months where I let myself sleep in until 9 every morning, and my productivity plummeted during those months! I also ended up working further into the evening, which cut into my time with Jackson once he got home from work. I now get up every day at 7:30, and my productivity has skyrocketed since doing this!
- Make your bed and brush your teeth. Before you do anything else, do these two things! This may sound super cliche, but FRIEND, it works! Stop being skeptical and just do the dang thing!
- Write a to-do list and create a game plan. Sit down and actually write out everything you need to accomplish or do that day. Put your most critical items at the top of your list, and your least important tasks at the bottom. Start your day with your most crucial tasks and get them done!
- Work from shortest/smallest task to biggest. Once you've accomplished your most crucial tasks, do the rest in order from shortest to biggest! Getting the small tasks done and crossed off your list will boost your mood and make you feel more productive/motivated!
- Keep your home tidy. If my home isn't tidy, I cannot focus! Every evening I spend a few moments tidying the home, which sets me up for success the next day.
- Set a schedule for yourself. Tell yourself that at 5pm, you're done working on work and can move on to other things like cleaning, chores, socializing, or taking some down time to rest. For me, I aim to be done working for the day by 4:30. That gives me about an hour before Jackson gets home to unwind, prep for dinner, and do any tidying up that may be needed.
- Set challenges for yourself! This is a tip I got from my good friend and enneagram life coach, Callie. (Check her out here!). I find that I work really well with time challenges. If I have a certain task that I hate doing (like emails), I'll give myself 15 minutes and challenge myself to get through as many emails as I possibly can within that 15 minutes. This motivates me to get a task I generally dislike done quickly so that it's over and I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day.
- Open the windows or turn on all the lights. Light is a BIG motivator for me! If the shades are drawn or the lights are turned off I immediately begin getting more sluggish and less motivated. Every morning after making the bed I always open the blinds and turn on all the lights in whatever room I'm in, and I've noticed a big boost in energy on days when I do this!
- Work hard, play hard. I make sure that when I'm in a scheduled time to work, that I'm working hard. But I then make sure to reward myself with times to relax and unwind so I don't become burnt out or overwhelmed. Have clear boundaries of when you should work or rest, and do each of those things well.
So there you have it, some methods I use on a daily basis to make sure I stay as productive as possible when working from home!
I hope you found these tips to be helpful, and if you give any of them a try let me know! Shoot me a DM on Instagram (@katiegraham.photography), I'd love to hear if these tips helped you out!
Have a wonderful weekend friend!